Saturday, June 4, 2011

Amazing day


Yesterday was my best day here so far...I went down to a neighborhood in Brooklyn called Flatbush for lunch at a vegetarian Caribbean place called "strictly vegetarian". The street that it was on was so incredible. I wish I had a video camera strapped to my head so that you all could have seen the street too! The neighborhood has a huge Caribbean population and there were women is beautiful colorful outfits, huge fruit and vegetable markets, fish markets, stores blaring reggae...it was such an awesome place! I saw a citi branch on that street too, haha!


The place I ate was very unique and could definitely be described as a 'hole in the wall'. There were 7 dishes, all of which were vegetarian, and for $9 I got a medium, which was basically a styrofoam to go box so full of food that I think I'm set for at least 3 days.  After I headed "home" to put my leftovers in the fridge I headed into manhattan to go to an apple store in hopes of getting my phone fixed...didn't really work out, but oh well, the store was cool looking! It was 3 stories in an old brick building with giant windows and the stairs inside were spiral and a strange bluish almost see-through color and very trippy to walk up. After that I walked along a bit of the Hudson river park, which is a 5 mile strip of grass with a bike path and walking path. I saw some really cool views of the new jersey skyline and I even saw the statue of liberty off in the far far distance. 


 I also could see the top of the empire state building when I turned around to walk back from the pier! Next I hopped on a few more trains and got off in Williamsburg, a part of Brooklyn and home to all of nyc's hipsters. Williamsburg is directly across the east river from manhattan and has amazing skyline views and a cool actual park full of sunbathers and families hanging out. I sat on a rock at the beach there and just enjoyed the weather and the views of the skyline and boats going by.



Later in the night we (me and the 4 guys whose couch I'm living on) went out to a place in Astoria (queens) for a going away party of a Wooster grad that lives in the city. It took 2 hours to get home because trains don't run very often late at night...but that's a price you pay for taking public transportation I guess! Today I'm headed to coney island with one of my best friends from elementary school that lives in new york. I'm trying to squeeze as much stuff in before my training starts and my life is over! I miss you all and hope citi is going well!! I checked the forecast for St Louis today and almost passed out...I'm so glad I'm here with a high of 77, not in St Louis with a high of 97. Vom.

No comments:

Post a Comment